Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mountain.



I recently realized how much I love baking big cakes.  They’re a personal challenge, like climbing a mountain or running a marathon, only you’ve gained weight by the end instead of having lost it.  This one, courtesy of Sky High Cakes, was my Kilimanjaro; it's do-able for the average being, but still quite a hike.

A few months ago, I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and said something along the lines of  “Peanut butter and chocolate cake tower?  OH YES I WILL BE MAKING THAT.”  With my roommate Janine’s birthday on the way, I finally had my excuse.

I purchased an offset spatula for the job, which may now be my most prized possession.


I also purchased chocolate, cream, peanut butter, butter, cream cheese, icing sugar, sour cream, flour, and then a gym pass.


For dinner we had raclette, which is communal eating at its absolute finest.


Steak, shrimp, salmon, sablefish, potatoes, mushrooms, balsamic onions, cornichon, and bread were just some of the delectables we passed around and ate under melted slices of swiss cheese.  Once we'd grilled and broiled to our hearts' content, we took a break.  Then it was cake time!


Deb of Smitten Kitchen described this chocolate cake as “INTENSE.  Serve it in the thinnest slices possible, and keep a glass of milk handy.”  I nearly ignored these instructions, believing myself to be above thin slices of cake.  I like wedges, something sturdy.  Her advice turned out to be an understatement, however, as this cake was beyond intense.  It was so awesomely rich and fudgey that even I had to stop after my reasonably allotted portion.  You simply CANNOT wedge this one, and I mean that in the best possible way.


Happy Birthday, Janine.  










3 comments:

  1. Oh my, that is a cake. How I wish I was there in that gorgeous loungeroom to eat it with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soo good! Plus, I love your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's another cool food blog for you!
    http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/recipes/

    ReplyDelete